Friday, January 28, 2011

Friends Friday - Blogger Mechanics

CIMG0167

1. What technology do you use in blogging?


My laptop is drowning in a sea of viruses right now, so I am using my Acer netbook for blogging. I also use a Canon Elph point and shoot camera, and a cheap tripod from Target. I even do my videos with my p&s camera. This set up has served me quite well. But I'm currently negotiating with my sister to buy her old SLR camera now that she has upgraded.

2. What computer and online technology do you use?

I use Blogger (but am considering a move to WordPress) to host my blog, Flickr Pro to store my photos, and GIMP to edit my photos. My husband is a big supporter of open-source software so I use GIMP for him.

3. What is your process for taking pictures?

I take my photos in the morning before work whenever possible. Sometimes I'm running too late and they get done at night (boo!). I slap my p&s camera on my tripod, look around to see if there is any good light anywhere to be found (usually it's too early and the light is all very blue), mash about 15 wrong buttons on my camera while trying to get the setting right, then pose, pose, pose. Check to see that I don't look retarded in all 3 shots. Then go to work. If I do look retarded or didn't get my feet in the photo, then I pose, pose, pose again.

My camera has facial recognition capabilities so I can put it on a delay that waits until it sees a face (mine when I walk over there), then it focuses on my face and take 3 pics. LOVE IT! No more running over there and not being ready or blurry pics from focusing on the wrong thing.

4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily?

I go through phases. For a while I was stopping at random locations on my way to work. But now I am back to taking them in the same 3 places in my house every morning.

5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying?

A fill light so that my face isn't always dark in photos!

No comments: